First Week with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation

Downtown Los Angeles

My first week (and a half) interning with the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) has been a very exciting experience. In my first week, I met everyone that works with the downtown LA chapter. There are around 15 people that work in this location and I recently found out all 15 are women. This has already been such a rewarding experience as I have so many incredibly strong and independently successful women to look up to as role models every day I’m there. While I have been given some relatively remedial tasks to complete, I have been also given some very interesting assignments. One of the first projects I was given was to research grants. I was given a lengthy list of large corporations and I then conducted research as to if these companies regularly donate to nonprofits or offer any specific grants. Being interested in pursuing a career in the nonprofit world, this experience was very valuable. I learned not only how to look into various companies, but how to approach grant writing. I am also looking forward to next week because I will be working with another intern on creating an outreach event for Type 1 Diabetics age 18-21 in the LA area. We will be planning and organizing the entire program and while I am a little overwhelmed, I can’t wait to get to work on it and create a youth program that will continue on after my internship ends, helping Type 1 Diabetics in the future.