4th of July Weekend (and I saw Dave Franco!)

It’s my first summer in California and so far, I can definitely attest — LA is great for 4th of July weekends!

This past week in particular has been really adventurous. The Tuesday before, my mentor took me out to “coffee,” which much to my surprise was really at BonaVista — a rotating lounge on the 34th floor at the Westin Bonaventure Hotel in Downtown LA. He brought along his best friend, another Michigan alum, who works at MTV and had eerily similar careers goals to mine. It was nice to speak to 2 alumni who are well acquainted with the film industry.

Saturday of 4th of July weekend, my roommate Sophia and I, went to Catalina Island for the day. We got up at 3:45AM because we needed to get to the San Pedro Port at 6am for our morning ferry. Let’s just say we grossly overestimated how long it would take to get there — we were the only ones in the building (besides security) for more than an hour. Catalina Island was amazing — we went on a “safari” (a.k.a we saw bicen), got lots of food, and went parasailing across the Pacific Ocean. We got home at 1am and of course, crashed hard that night.

The next day, my roommates and I went to go see “The Big Sick,” which was, at the time, limited release only in LA/NY (we felt insanely special). As we were walking to the parking garage, we ran into the one and only Dave Franco!! Yes, you heard that correctly — Dave Franco. He was lounging by the stairwell, chatting with 2 parking garage attendants, and throwing dollar bills at the ground (as one does…?). I regret not approaching him and saying “hi” but oh well, it’s still a great story.

On Monday, July 3rd, all of my Michigan friends and I had the day off — so we headed to Santa Monica beach. It was great being able to lounge around all day and not worry about any upcoming assignments/exams… this is my 1st summer in college that I haven’t taken summer classes. We did all the typical beach activities — sleep, eat, swim, and repeat.

It’s strange to think that I only have 5 weeks left in the beautiful city. It seems like in LA, there’s always something to do, always something to see… But for now, I don’t want to think about the future and just enjoy the moment.

3 thoughts on “4th of July Weekend (and I saw Dave Franco!)

That’s really cool you can find so many opportunities for fun activities in LA!

I like how you bolded Dave Franco. Nice addition.