Differences and Similarities | #3

This weeks topic is diversity, something that I honestly had not fully been exposed to until I stepped foot on the University of Michigan campus. As I headed into my internship, I was told I would be matched up with someone who the HR person thought would be a good fit personality wise and work wise. I first off assumed that my mentor would be a women, since this was the case at my two previous PR internships. Someone who had a similar background as me, etc. Turns out I was completely off. My mentor is male, black, Christian, and comes from inner city Boston. All of these characteristics I just listed, I am not. I am a female, white, Jewish, and suburban-grown. Could not be more opposite. However, this means nothing. We share a lot of interests such as Game of Thrones, and after all, working in the digital environment.

My mentor and I have a great work relationship. Despite our diverse backgrounds, we are great partners. In fact, throughout my last two weeks, I have been given more and more responsibility within my internships. I am now the Admin on some of our social media accounts and I am allowed to post content that I have made and has been approved by higher ups. It is really rewarding to see your work go into effect.

Therefore to reflect on a part of my identity that I am seeing or feeling in a different light as I navigate my internship, it is the fact that despite all of the differences, commonalities with people sometimes come in different forms of interests than the ones on paper.

One thought on “Differences and Similarities | #3

Amanda – You make a very important observation in stating that diversity is not just defined by someone’s birth. As my team grows, we really consider the value of diversity of personality as well – When there are too many people who think the same, there is a definite danger of ideas and content growing narrow and stale.