Dream Job? | #6

As I approach the end of my internship, I have to ask myself, is this what I want to do for the rest of my life?

Well, yes and no.

Yes, in that I love agency life.  The advertising industry stretches my brain and creativity in ways that really excite me.  I think this is the right field for me.

No, in that I don’t think account management is the right area for me.  It involves a lot of administrative work that-while certainly important-is not how I dream of spending my days.  It feels like a lot of managing other people’s ideas without the chance to come up with my own.  I expected account management to have more strategic and creative input, the opportunity to brainstorm and come up with campaign ideas.  This happens some, but not enough to balance out the other stuff for me.

Where does this leave me?

After talking to my supervisors and doing some reading of my own, I think strategy/account planning is the area I want to pursue.  I’m not artistic enough for the creative department-although copywriting looms as a possibility-but strategy allows me the chance to be involved in the development of campaigns.  It is the perfect intersection of my two majors-communications and psychology-as I would be allowed to deeply explore the way media affects people’s behavior.

There’s a lot of research-largely qualitative-involved in this role.  I have had some research-focused classes so far, but will have some more going forward and might elect even more to help me get experience.  Most of my research classes have been focused on the report writing, but the actual conduction of research will likely be the more critical aspect for my career going forward.  My involvement in Michigan Advertising and Marketing and my internship in the Athletic Communications office will also give me more practice and help me continue to grow.

One thought on “Dream Job? | #6

It’s great that this internship has helped you realize what you do/don’t want to do! I’ve been learning similar things in my internship — I actually thought I’d never want to work in digital content but I’ve surprisingly grown to love it!