My July 4th Weekend | Blog Post #3

This past weekend was, by far, one of the best weekends I’ve had this summer! To be honest, once Friday night comes for the DCBRP cohort, things get a little dry at University Towers, but this weekend I was able to make the best of it. Some of my closest friends in the internship decided to hang back at the apartments, and boy did it pay off. I got invited to a family BBQ Sunday, which was just what I needed after a long week’s worth of work. The family I ended up spending time with reminded me so much of my own that I felt right at home. The food was amazing, the fireworks were breath-taking, and the vibes were just so spot on. As if that day alone wasn’t enough to make my weekend, I ended up piling more fun into my holiday break.

Monday I went to Mexican town with another friend, and ate Tacos, Nachos, baked goods, and even had a margarita to wash it all down. The day was so perfect. Spending time with good people, eating food I love, and enjoying a beautiful day was a recipe for perfection. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Southwest Detroit, but going back reminded me why I loved the area so much. Everybody there is so down to earth, and they love it when I humble myself enough to speak my broken Spanish instead of taking them out their comfort zone to speak English (although English is widely spoken down there). At this point in the weekend, I was floating on cloud 9 from all the fun I’ve been having. But guess what, I still wasn’t done yet.

Tuesday, me and the other two ladies I spent my Sunday and Monday with decided to find a lake to hang out by, so we went to Kensington Park in Milford. That was just enough to top off my holiday break before returning to work Wednesday. We did paddle boating, we swam in the lake, and even packed lunches to enjoy on the beach. If I would’ve had an iPhone, I would’ve taken a ton of pictures, but being that my phone is older than I am, I decided not to. I could always just have the people who accompanied me out there send me what pictures they took, because boy did they take a lot. Overall, this was a very memorable weekend, and it made me realize that I don’t need 20 people in one apartment room hanging to make me feel happy on the weekends; all I need are my closest friends and I’ll be alright. The only thing missing was Sahil hahaha. Maybe next time he’ll think twice before leaving me at the apartment by myself!

https://blog.opportunityhub.lsa.umich.edu/

Erin R.

Hey! I'm a senior at the University of Michigan, studying Sociology and Education. I'll be interning at EcoWorks Detroit, with the UROP program (Detroit Community-Based Research Program). I love writing blog posts, so sit back, relax, and read my thoughts.