Making beer in Japan! | #5

After 5 weeks of working at the brewery, I think I’m finally starting to be seen as more than just an intern in training, and as a member of the team. I’m not being trusted to handle more important jobs on my own, and I’m taking up more responsibility. I’m starting to wish I had longer here in Japan, as work is starting to get more and more interesting every day.

Since we had two batches of contaminated beer last week, we have to take extra measures to ensure that the beer we transfer remains clean, and that the brewery remains sanitized in general. We were taught that most of the effort in a brewery goes into cleaning, and we began to use more concentrated chemicals to clean tanks and pipes. Next week I might finally get more involved in the actual brewing of the beer, which is something I am looking quite forward to. The last two weekends have been relatively quiet, as I have stayed in Ibaraki, but the company has agreed to give me an extra day off next week so I can have a long weekend in Tokyo, which is also something I am excited for.

Time here has absolutely flown past, and I am excited to see what the next three weeks hold for me.

2 thoughts on “Making beer in Japan! | #5

I’m glad you’re able to take on more tasks now! How did the beer get contaminated? Enjoy Tokyo!

Wow, that sounds like an amazing internship experience. What kinds of new responsibilities are you picking up?