Getting Started — Blog Post #1

As someone who didn’t even realize internships were a thing before college, it’s pretty safe to say the internship search was very stressful for me. I was pretty positive I wouldn’t be able to find a good fit for me, or anything at all. Thankfully, I’ve found a position that not only interests me, but also pertains to my field of study, and I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with the company I was hired into.

I was initially brought on as an editorial intern, which is a position I am very comfortable with. I’ve got a lot of experience editing and writing content, and for me to start off my internship experience doing something I know I am good at was a good boost of confidence for me. That being said, there’s always a learning curve, and I’m excited to see how this magazine does things differently than what I am typically accustomed to.

I am most excited because of the depth of this position and the versatility of roles I am allowed to pursue. The CEO of the company I work for encourages experience in other fields, and has allowed me to work in website operations and work with aspects like analytics, which I have never had the opportunity to do before. In addition to that, she has also allowed me to intern with Public Relations and Marketing while also being on the Editorial staff, where we are working with branding, partnerships, and generating inbound links through social media engagement (basically I get to tweet and it’s considered work!)

This internship is an opportunity for me to explore different areas of companies that I’ve never had the opportunity to work with before, and that is an aspect I value greatly. It’s one thing to be hired to do something and gain experience in that particular field — it’s another to not only gain experience in a field, but also exposure in many different aspects. The company I work for truly cares about shaping interns into well-rounded professionals, and this experience is exactly what I needed at this point in my career. I’m excited to see where it goes!