New Co-Workers, Friends | #2

After having spent a few more weeks at Merit Network, I couldn’t be happier with the team of aspiring computer scientists that I have to work with. Being the youngest of the 5 student interns under Dr. Michalis Kallitsis I enjoy learning new concepts from my co-workers and am always pleased when I get to teach them a thing or two. We all have unique specialties from web development to C programming that all come together to form a cohesive team. Whether we’re bouncing ideas off of each other or working together on a specific problem, I never have to worry about a lack of new ideas or helpful suggestions from my co-workers. Just the other day I was visibly frustrated with a program I was trying to write when one of my fellow interns offered to help. After a few minutes of explaining the problem and discussing my approach I was able to diagnose the issue simply by having someone there to walk through it with me. I couldn’t be happier with the friendliness and positivity of my teammates.

Beyond our technical abilities, I have also been impressed by the personal diversity of my fellow internees. Out of the six of us (including our mentor) we come from 3 different countries and enjoy a wide variety of hobbies and interests. Our mentor has often talked about playing ping-pong in his home country of Cyprus and everyone knows that I’m a running fanatic. We also have a graduate student from the University of Southern California working with us who is always happy to talk about his Indian heritage. Most recently, trying Vietnamese food for the first time together was another adventure in and of itself! Our conversations during lunch breaks and while waiting for the bus going to and from work are always enjoyable and exactly why I’m happy to call these co-workers my friends too.