Sink or Swim | Entry 2

One word best describes the first two weeks of my internship: hectic. It so happens that I started working while my workplace was in the middle of co-hosting one of its big annual sustainability events. This year, Asia Society Northern California worked with our Southern California base, which had a smaller office, so we were all hands on deck from our side. It felt like not knowing how to swim and being thrown into the ocean to learn how to swim. It was probably the fastest way to learn the ropes at work and for a hands-on learner, the most effective. I loved it!

Just on my second day, I was already tasked to copyedit documents, create flyers (like the ones I’ve attached on the right). On my third day, I was creating social media posts promoting our events. I assimilated in no time! During one of my down times, I read up on our presenting sponsors, which was a large international infrastructure firm dedicated to sustainability. One of their recent projects was a stadium here in northern California, which operates fully in sustainable terms: it runs on solar power, the food and beverage they sell are produced (or purchased) locally within a 100 mile (if I remember correctly) radius so as to lessen their carbon footprint. It definitely made me think about my own personal consumption and how I should take advantage of our local farmers’ market. Being more green is certainly something I struggle with as a college student (pun intended) with the seemingly lack of time to prepare food, but it’s certainly something I am willing to work on… but I digress.

Our office also regularly hosts smaller scale events geared towards fellowship among our members. So far, one that I’ve been a part of was our Summer Happy Hour event for our Young Professionals Group. Essentially, Asia Society creates an environment for Asian American young professionals in the Bay Area to create a network amongst each other through these different events. I got to meet such interesting individuals in the tech and finance industries working at Facebook, Silicon Valley Bank, their own financial advisory firms–they all seem to have their lives together and they don’t seem to be any older than I am. Coming from out-of-state, this particular event was a good way for me to get to know people and build my professional network.

During the weekends, I find myself exploring the city’s every nook and cranny. That weekend, I took advantage of the amazing weather, brought a book and headed to San Francisco’s Mission Dolores Park. Apparently, everyone else had the same idea as the place was packed! Perhaps the photo below could speak for itself.

Patty A

Typical twenty-something year old with a knack for learning and a curiosity for the world. Enjoys documentaries, horror movies, and trips to Ikea. Probably lost and not wandering.

2 thoughts on “Sink or Swim | Entry 2

Thank you so much for posting about your experience! How quickly you had to learn and adapt to the hectic situation was so amazing! I know that the pressure would certainly make it tough for me but it sounds like you did extremely well and you even loved it! It is inspiring to see that being thrown into a situation like your own can be such an incredible learning experience.

Thanks, Matthew! A lot of trial and error, but it has truly been a rewarding experience so far. I wish you the same in your internship!