Behind the Curtain #1

Prologue: Two months ago, I was sleeping under mosquito nets and blindly road-tripping across Costa Rica in a rusted out SUV learning about the farming practices of industrial agriculture corporations with a group of environmental science students. One month ago, I was backpacking across Panama and island hopping in the Caribbean with strangers that I met out on the road. Today, I am living in Traverse City, Michigan working as a parties and events planner for the Traverse City Film Festival.

And if you couldn’t already tell, I’m a woman of many interests.

Blog Entry 1: “What’s it like working at a film festival? Will you be like, taking videos and watching movies and stuff?”

The Traverse City Film Festival office is the definition of a creative space. Everyone works hard in the office doing everything from writing festival blog posts to crafting a DeLorean out of an old refrigerator box. You can find some of us in the front of the State Theatre prepping films and shorts for the festival while others are delivering festival guides around downtown Traverse City in old Radio Flyer wagons.  It’s hard to believe that this is a 9-5 job.

Everyone on the team is extremely flexible and I think that we’ve all learned that perfection isn’t always possible. I can easily say that this job has forced each of us to become a little craftier. For example, I’m currently making 50 centerpieces out of wine bottles from the dumpster across the street.

My favorite part about this internship so far is that I’m working outside of my area of speciality. As a biology major, working in communications and media has definitely pushed me outside of my comfort zone. However, I am already realizing that I prefer working in a lively office over researching in a lab. Below are a couple of pictures of us at work.