Blog #3 Political Implications in Healthcare

In my internship in the Women’s Health Resources Center at the Von Voigtlander Women’s Hospital, I’ve been writing sections of Michigan Medicine’s Lactation News upcoming issue.  I spoke with a lactation consultant in Michigan Medicine’s Work-Life department; Work-Life provides women with resources and support for dealing with the challenges of going back to work and breastfeeding.  With the change in presidency over the last couple of months, the amount of support for breastfeeding women has drastically declined.  One of the lactation consultants in Work-Life sent me an article from 2013 about how the Affordable Care Act has helped women gain support by normalizing breastfeeding.

I researched information on this topic to find more updated information.  Unfortunately, through my research I came across several articles stating that President Trump has been attempting to get rid of medical programs assisting women with breastfeeding and lactation support.  As a liberal and a democrat, I was clearly saddened to read these articles.  So, clearly I had to think up a new topic for one of the Lactation News sections.

More importantly, I was furious that our current government administration could easily reverse years of progress that our society has made in supporting breastfeeding mothers.  It’s commonly known that Planned Parenthood and similar non-profit organizations have been defunded (unfortunately), but I didn’t truly understand how problematic it is that women are not getting the support that they need.  The comments left at the end of the articles made me feel very connected to the communication of grieving patients.  It was so upsetting for me to digest the fact that Women’s Health programs and their patients are truly in jeopardy.

2 thoughts on “Blog #3 Political Implications in Healthcare

It is very upsetting that support for breastfeeding women has declined. It is also a shame that programs such as Planned Parenthood are not eligible for federal funding. I am also very concerned about women’s health programs. Hopefully the american people and the administration can work together to make the world better for everyone. Your post is very interesting and I hope that we find a solution to this problem.

Thank you for your reflection – While organizations place a significant effort on developing their culture, it is interesting/frustrating to consider how external forces challenge those efforts.