Blog #4 | Where Did the Time Go?

It’s hard to believe that I’m already half-way done with the summer, and almost half-way through my internship. I feel like I just had my first day here, yesterday! As I’m reaching this mid-point in the internship, I guess it’s time for me to look back at the goals I set for myself at the start of this internship. I definitely think through reading the books that I’ve requested to borrow from my office and diligently conducting marketing research, I’ve learned a lot about branding and what is entailed in creating a well-received brand. One of the most true statements that I’ve learned is essential to branding and marketing is “less is more.” While it is important to be on par with your competitors, it is also important to make sure that your brand is focus and isn’t trying to expand over all areas of possible products. People value a product and brand that sticks to its core products and ensures the quality of those products.

I’ve had a little bit of experience generating content for the marketing firm I’m working for, coming up with little tweets for their twitter account and ideas for their Facebook content as well. But I think it would be interesting to be on a team that generates content for a client. While this marketing firm is VERY small (much smaller than I was expecting honestly) it does make sense that they don’t have all of the resources necessary for prime content generation. In this respect, I think this goal has become less of an essential part of this summer’s internship. (Something to make sure I look for in next summer’s internship)

Through my informational interview with a web design employee of the agency, I learned a lot about web design and the steps throughout creating a perfect website. I was very excited to learn that you don’t need to be able to code to be a web-designer.

I’ve learned through listening to some of the other interns’ Brand Workshop Presentations (keeping the employees of the agency up to date on what’s new and helpful in branding and marketing) how to conduct myself properly in the future when I hopefully work with clients. I also have learning how to speak with some of them through my own meetings with my managers and advisors who have told me of their experiences with clients. While I haven’t gotten the chance to actually speak with any clients, I have had the opportunity to welcome them into the office (basically half of my internship is being a receptionist sitting at the front desk..so riveting) so I get a little bit of face-time with them, even if I’m just offering them something to drink.

Most of what I’ve done is researching other brands and seeing how they were successful so I’d say that goal has been met the best, but I wouldn’t call it complete just yet. I’m excited to see how the clients we’ve done work for appreciate the research we’ve done and I hope they end up having as much success as we’d like them to.

For right now, I think my goals are pretty well lined out and I hope to continue to reach them throughout this internship. I’ve noticed that I have learned a lot from my social media research for clients, picking up on certain trends on social media and easily explaining and sharing them with my advisors and managers. I have noticed that comparatively to the other interns, they have found much more information in their topics, while that is partially due to the depth of their topics, it also makes me feel a bit behind. I’ve tried to catch up to get to the depth they’ve found, but I’ve also found that researching social media doesn’t have as much background because it is so recent. I am going to work on putting that extra effort into this internship to make sure I make the most of it!