DC Intern Blog #2

My internship has been pretty busy recently. I’m constantly getting more projects to work on, which is nice because I’m busy all the time. I really enjoy working at the Federal Judicial Center because they treat me more like a member of their team than simply an intern. I have the opportunity to participate in committee meetings about projects that I have specifically been working on. Specifically, I’ve been working on a huge data collection project measuring data from past workshops.

Recently, I’ve also participated in a panel meeting to interview the new fall interns. This was the most interesting because I’ve always wanted to be on the other side of the interview, as someone who is always being interviewed. I remember it was a bit intimidating to be interviewed by multiple people over a phone call. They all went smoothly. Besides me, there were two other interns and a staff member and took turns asking questions. I talked a lot about my current work experience as an intern. I liked looking at other people’s resumes and cover letters a lot because it made me realize what people would think about me when they look at my application.

Also today, I went to Baltimore with some other people in PSIP. It was really easy getting to Baltimore by train. This is the first time I’ve visited Baltimore and it was definitely possible because DC is so close. The Harbor area was really nice and we saw the National Aquarium, one of the best aquariums I’ve ever been to. We also saw people paddle boating in the harbor.

So far in my DC summer, I’ve realized the importance of meal-prepping and exercising when I can. Prepping my meals ahead of time saves so much money and is significantly healthier. I’ve also been consistently going to barre classes after work. Since I am sitting 8 hours a day, working out has become even more important than during the regular school year.

2 thoughts on “DC Intern Blog #2

Sitting in on the other side of the table during an interview must have been a really fantastic experience – I also wonder what that would be like. Perhaps you’ll turn into a mentor of sorts for the new Fall interns?

Your internship sounds like such a great opportunity! Having many projects on your plate gives you a lot of responsibility but allows you to gain so much experience. Being treated as a member and not simply an intern also sounds like a positive to your intern because you get a lot of respect and they will most likely give you more projects like participating in the panel meeting to interview new fall interns. It’s also very interesting that you have discovered how to adapt to living in DC and have figured out how to be successful! 🙂