Facing Obstacles | #5

Although there have definitely been multiple obstacles throughout my experience as an intern this summer, I will tell you about one particular challenge that I faced. This is a little embarrassing considering that my biggest obstacle had to do with answering the phone, but I will talk about it nonetheless. On my second day of work, I was assigned to manage the front desk – a seemingly simple, straightforward task. Managing the front desk requires one to answer the phone, connect/transfer calls, check people in for meetings, and notify the entire floor when a guest shows up for a meeting. However, I did not realize that I had never managed a desk before and had never officially transferred a call. I received the first call, tried to transfer the line, failed, panicked, and hung up the phone, acting as though the call dropped. Before asking around the office for help, I was determined to figure out the phone for myself. I used my Live Nation portal to research the extensions of everyone on my floor, made a spread sheet reference for myself, and finally got the gist of handling the front desk. I learned that before taking on a new task, it is so important to research, plan ahead, and prepare for what is to come so that you can keep up and push yourself to your best potential.

One thought on “Facing Obstacles | #5

Sometimes the easiest tasks turn out to be the most challenging. I am happy that you figured out the solution to the problem that you were having. It is also impressive that you found out the answer by yourself. I think that you handled the while situation very well. I agree, it is very important to be prepared so that you know what to do when the situation arises.