Iguazúuuuuuu l #7

That’s right y’all; this is the one. The one for which you’ve all been waiting. Our huge hostel crew, eight of us in total, somehow made it onto a bus and eight hundred or so miles north to the town of Puerto Iguazú, home to the aptly named Iguazú Falls. We left Tuesday night, arrived Wednesday afternoon and promptly spent what I’m fairly confident will be my four favorite days of my entire time here in Argentina. I know a lot can happen in the little over a month that I have left, but seeing as Iguazú National Park was one of if not the prettiest place to which I’ve ever been, and home to one of my personal top three moments of my entire lifetime, it’s just simply very hard for me to imagine in my current state anything else beating it. But I’m getting ahead of myself; here’s how the whole thing went down. As I’m sure I’ve mentioned before and will undoubtedly mention again, I have Fridays off of work, so I only had to take two days off for our long weekend. Since day one my boss has been asking me how well I’ve been getting to know the surrounding area, so she was more than happy to allow me a couple of days to see more of the country. The actual trip itself started in what can only be described as “classic” fashion, in that not only did one of the members of our party book their ticket the day before the trip (and consequently had to take a different bus from everyone else because ours had sold out), but also the other seven us quite literally loaded onto our bus seconds before it pulled away. This near-tragedy resulted from a combination of two equally contributory factors, one being that the intercontinental bus station was hidden behind a more local, far busier bus station, and the second that we were seven, incompetent, pajama-clad Americans. We did, however, eventually make it, and while Perie and I had a far less charming experience on the upper level of the bus than the other five on the lower level, the bus seats themselves leaned back incredibly far and afforded ample foot room, a comfort level I wouldn’t even expect from a plane much less a bus. After we arrived it took us three tries to walk the correct direction towards the hostel where we were staying despite it only being two blocks from the bus station, but once we finally figured it out we were met with a lush array of flowers, an open floor plan flowing from the reception desk to the kitchen/common area up to our room, and to top it all off a pool with a partial view of the street-side shops and restaurants. The eighth member of our posse having arrived after about an hour, we spent this first half day exploring the surrounding section of the city, eventually settling on a bar-restaurant called Bambú (whose menus were made of such) for lunch and a Mexican place called Happy Hour (yes, really) for dinner, both equally delicious (side note: I haven’t had a bad meal in the two months I’ve been here). Despite the aforementioned Mexican restaurant’s name we did not indulge, since the next morning (Thursday) we executed on a plan to take a nine am bus to Iguazú National Park. The initial park entrance fee of five hundred pesos initially seemed steep, but seeing as I truly don’t think I can find the words to describe it beyond the small blurb I wrote at the beginning, I would say the early wake-up call and price were both well worth it. I truly will just let the pictures at the end speak for themselves; if not for the hungry, overly-aggressive “coatíes” prowling around the few scattered food joints, ready to pounce at even the slightest possibility of a meal, I could’ve thought I’d died and gone to heaven. It would be truly impossible for any activity to follow such an experience, however visiting the river which divides Brazil from Paraguay from Argentina and staying long enough to watch the sun set over it was a pretty noble attempt. Our bus left around 4 on Saturday, so after those two days of substantial walking we took the last few hours to relax poolside and stock up on snacks for the ride home. I am, of course, right now faced with the immediate prospect of work tomorrow and return to the daily grind, nevertheless I can honestly say that for a solid seventy-two hours I thought of nothing but sunshine and shared experiences with spectacular company. I wouldn’t trade it for the world, and here are the pictures to prove it. See you all next week. =)

Top 3 moments of my life
Fam
Las Tres Fronteras (The Three Borders)
Before
After
Seems fake but ok
Finally someone got my good side
I wasn’t kidding
I literally felt like I was five years olds
I thought this was hilarious
Me and a rainbow
Iguazú y’all
Iguazú (Paradise) Falls
Iguazú Falls
I was very excited ok
Iguazú National Park sign
U of M sqaud
I’m sorry I don’t know why it’s upside down or how to change it
Iguazú Falls
One of the owners of Happy Hour’s kids
Rise and shine amirite
Iguazú falls

2 thoughts on “Iguazúuuuuuu l #7

Hey Matt, great blog that captures your daily activity. It sounds like you are living large and in the moment, which is right on the mark and will result in a grand experience that you will take with you. Enjoy the rest of your stay and we look forward to seeing you upon your return.
    Love, Papa

What a crazy start to the trip! I’m glad you all made it safely and that you enjoyed the Park so much 🙂