Thank God for Taca Taverna | Blog #5

When my boyfriend and I landed in Lisbon after 15 hours of traveling, we were absolutely whipped. It was about 5am for us, and I had barely slept all night. Exhausted, nauseous from the plane, and grumpy, we made our way to our new home and almost immediately conked out.

When I woke up, I was starving. We realized that I had zero food in the house and I was way too hungry to even try to go grocery shopping. So I googled a restaurant near me and stumbled jet-lagged into the best culinary experience I’ve had so far.

It’s a small tavern in my neighborhood with kind workers and authentic Portuguese food. Our server taught us some Portuguese phrases while he brought plate after plate of traditional food to our table. It was a really interesting experience to not be able to read anything on the menu and just give up control, telling him to bring us anything he thought we’d like.

It really hammered in that the small, unexpecting places are always the best. And definitely the most authentic. We went back this weekend, and the same server recognized us! He even remembered that I don’t eat meat, and we hugged as we left. The connection we made with him definitely makes the whole experience even better.

One thought on “Thank God for Taca Taverna | Blog #5

I love when unexpected experiences turn into the best experiences!