The Experiment Begins | #2

The real work is finally beginning.  After a long week of waiting, the experiment is finally in motion and Kelly and I have received a heap of audio files that are ready to be labeled, transcribed, and coded.  One thing that surprised me was how long the files would be.  Each one is close to an hour each.  I can say for certain, though, that my proficiency in Praat, the transcription software we use, is improving significantly.

It’s quite an interesting experience to work for so long on designing the experiment, going over every possible detail, then suddenly hearing it being used in “real life.”  It’s a little strange, but mostly very cool.

Kelly and I have been working furiously on transcribing and coding the audio files we’ve received as fast as we can.  It’s quite a job, and I’m constantly worrying that I did something wrong.  But it’s really nice to have a peer to work with on the project, someone I can talk to and ask my questions to, knowing that we’re going through it all together.

Another nice thing about this project is that I can work from home.  And even though many of my friends are working on internships in exciting cities or exotic locales, I have to say it’s nice to get done working at the end of the day and sit down to dinner with my family.

It’s going to be a busy week.  Stay tuned for an update next week!