Dancing, Dancing, and More Dancing

I partake in the section of the animation team that plans and does activities with children, so I did not expect to be exercising as much as I currently am during this internship. My expectation was to simply play with kids, watch over them, talk and take care of them, etc. However, I have danced so much in the past two weeks that some of my pants are a little loose on me! The animation team puts on evening shows four days a week and a mini dance show for children every weekday after dinner. In between those shows, there is day care and lots of rehearsal. I have such fun dancing that the sore muscles are tolerable.

As much as I love immersing myself in the culture here, I also love sharing my culture with others. In one of the dance shows we put on, the audience participated in ten different types of dances. Among salsa, country, hip-hip, and disco, one dance was “orientale” or Middle-Eastern, but no one from the animation team really wanted to go up and dance because it is not a dance they are familiar with. Without hesitation, I marched up on stage and began dancing to the music and sharing my Middle-Eastern culture. I was truly in my element, and it was a great way for me to go out of my comfort zone a little bit and put myself out there when dancing alone on stage.

One thought on “Dancing, Dancing, and More Dancing

Jannah, this sounds like such a fun experience for everyone involved! I’m glad that you are learning about the culture, practicing French, and bonding with the kids while also sharing your own knowledge and heritage. 🙂