I saw The Weeknd over the weekend

At the beginning of my internship, I made it one of my goals to figure out what I want to do with my life. Now, you are all probably thinking that that is not a feasible goal to accomplish in such a short amount of time, but I am making small strides. I would say that this goal still describes my experience because I am reaching out to different people in the museum that I would normally not come into contact with because we are not in the same department. This is giving me an idea of what people are doing around me and what their life is like on a day to day basis. So far, I have interviewed two people at the museum, but  I have three more meetings lined up throughout the month. Honestly, I am just curious to learn how these people got to where they are today and if they enjoy what they are doing. I plan on continuing with my goal of career searching because I feel like this is the right time and place to be doing it.

This internship has been a lot of “firsts” for me and that includes trying to make connections and broaden my network. At first, I did not really know what I wanted to do with my degree so I did not know who to reach out to, but now I have taken that mindset and replaced it with something new. Since I am not sure what I want to do in terms of a career, I plan on reaching out to everyone to get a sense of what I may like or dislike about their job. Yesterday, I met with one of the Chief Curators for the core exhibition. I decided to reach out to her because I found it fascinating that she left North America to move to Poland. Normally, the people that I talk with are from Poland so I figured that she would be able to give me a different perspective on the work being done here the museum. What I learned from her, is to find a career that you truly love and are passionate about because she was very enthused when it came to talking about what she does on a day to day basis. For example, this week she is traveling to three different countries to lecture and talk about the museum. This is a key aspect for me when it comes to career hunting because I do not want to be stationary for the rest of my life, but exploring while doing something that I love. Knowing this, it makes the search a bit easier because I know that I can eliminate anything that does not involve some type of travel along the way.

Secondly, I met with a specialist in the Education Department at the museum that works on creating workshops for children, students, and families. She was willing to speak with me for an hour and a half, which gave me a great insight to what she does, what she likes and dislikes, etc. What I learned from her, is that you should stick with the career that you love, even if it isn’t the one that makes the most money. However, her position doesn’t offer much room for advancement, nor does she travel much because there is so much to be done at the museum. Although her position sounds interesting, I do not think I would want to create workshops, but she sounds like she enjoys her job.

I am going to apply what I have learned thus far to the remainder of my internship by narrowing in on by exploring the fields that I am interested in and hearing more about what people have to say about the topic. Additionally, it has shed light onto the type of schooling that I should be receiving to get to where I need to be.

However, I feel like these meetings are allowing me to branch out because I am getting to know people that I may never have met otherwise. Additionally, I have people that I do interact with daily like my mentor who is willing to take time out of the work day to give me recommendations on things to do around Warsaw. She is allowing me to make mistakes and grow along the way while we continue to put the project together. Also, there is my supervisor that the other interns and I meet with everyday for lunch so we can talk about what is going on in our lives. It is nice because she is around the same age as us so I feel like I can confide in her more than supervisors that I have had in the past. In the internship program, there are five interns and we have gotten close because we see each other everyday and will try to plan events together. I am thankful that I am not the only intern because it allows for me to build relationships with those around me that are experiencing the same thing.

This past weekend I traveled to London with Zach, but I swear we cannot travel without something getting in the way. I arrived to the Modlin airport where my flight was delayed by two hours and I did not get into London until one am. Zach and I had booked our flights so that we would arrive at the same time, but luckily his flight sat on the runway for over an hour so we still made it to the London airport roughly around the same time. However, our hostel is not open 24/7 so we were panicking as to where we were going to stay that night because we were still over an hour away from where we needed to be. We were frantically looking up hostels that may still be open because we did not find sleeping outside very appealing. Finally, I tried calling the hostel again and begged them to stay open until we got there, which thankfully they did. We arrived and slept for six hours until we had to get up and get going because we did not have much time since we were in London for the Wireless Festival, but Zach wanted to see the top attractions. Throughout the weekend, we saw everything that needed to be seen in the short amount of time that we had because Friday and Sunday we were at the festival, but Saturday we were adventuring all day. Last summer, I studied abroad in London through CGIS and I did not think that I would miss it when I left, but I found that I was kind of nostalgic for the city. We did everything that I had already done, but it was fun to see it all again. Saturday night we went to one of my favorite pubs in China Town, but I was kind of disappointed that it was not the same as it was only a year ago. It seemed to be more “americanized,” but we still had a great time. Honestly, I thought the festival was fun because I saw some of my favorite artists like G Eazy, Chance, and The Weeknd, but it was very exhausting because we only averaged about 4 hours of sleep per night. I am not in any rush to go to another festival because of how much energy it takes, but I wouldn’t mind going to another one in the far future. Zach and I had to wake up at 4 am Monday morning and catch our flights back to Warsaw and Berlin, but Zach (once again) almost missed his flight because his was an hour earlier than mine. Once I arrived home, I slept for 15 hours and I do not regret it at all.

One thought on “I saw The Weeknd over the weekend

Great to read that you are taking full advantage of your internship – Keep reflecting on your experience and reaching out to mentors, this is an excellent time to explore and it is obvious that you are embracing that mindset!