Informational Interview : Outside Organization

In my informational interview, I had a discussion with a current college coach. He is not a head coach and to protect his anonymity I will not say his position on that staff, but it is a pretty high position. I connected with this person because he was a great candidate to talk to me about the profession he is in. I knew he was a willing source also because he has a great demeanor about him. With this informational interview I knew I would be able to judge if I wanted to continue to pursue a path in coaching or turn elsewhere because this person has been on many different levels of coaching. I learned a lot from this source. I learned that coaching football is a perfect job if you love to help others and be around the game. I learned that if you want to move up in the world of college football you must be well known and know people at the same time. College football coaching is not something you can wait too long to decide to do. You must take difficult routes to pursue your dream of moving up in the coaching ladder. I’ve learned from this interview that a lot of sacrifices have to be made in order to get the results you want on your team. That means spending time with family and friends must be cut down, sometimes restless nights, and a constant 24 hours, 7 days a week, job. Out of all the things he taught me the main thing I will apply to my internship, to my future career, and in my life is, it is not about what you know, but who you know. I feel like this can help me with my communication skills because I will be working towards networking and making connections with people in my profession.