Blog 1 – Questions on Questions

I have so many questions. I do not even know where to start.

As I finish up my first week here, I recognize that I have been exposed to a world of media that is completely different from that which I was exposed to last summer. I am overwhelmed and a little nervous, but I am absolutely hopeful and I am blown away by how welcoming everyone is here. When I met my team, the Events & Venue Partnerships team at iHeartMedia, I could not wipe the smile on my face as I was greeted by two sweet and fun young girls who reminded me of myself and the people with whom I surround myself at Michigan. I am uncomfortable because it is all new to me; I am uncomfortable because I need to impress them; I am uncomfortable because I know absolutely nothing and I have more questions than my brain can handle; yet, I am hopeful. I am hopeful that I will pick it up quickly; I am hopeful that I can impress them; I am hopeful that my questions will answer themselves as I gain exposure to this position and this company; I am hopeful that as time goes on, I will not be scared to ask questions because I will know exactly what questions I want to ask.

As I write this, two of Hansen’s goals stand out to me. I am confident that I have created an immediate strong impression, but I hope that this impression is a lasting one, and one that I can build on as I become increasingly comfortable with the work and the people with whom I am working. I hope to warm up and become more comfortable being myself (the professional version of myself, that is) around the people I am working with in order to be able to build on that impression and show them how and why I deserve to stand out.

As a result, I hope to “Network, Network, Network!” and use this strong impression to gain a network of individuals who will hopefully see my potential and recognize who I am and what I can do, and thus have my best interests at heart in the future.