A New Beginning | #2

The first two weeks of my internship have been a rollercoaster ride. I struggled and yet I learned so much.

From the plane ride to San Jose to buying groceries after settling down in my shared apartment, I have finally experienced what it feels like to survive on my own.

On the first day of my internship, I met my mentor and peer interns during orientation. We all got to know each other and learned about each other’s’ specialties as we prepare to build a brand new web application. Here’s a few pictures of NASA Ames:

I work with an eclectic team of interns: two are high school students who aspire to become computer scientists, two are college graduates with degrees from mathematics, political science, and music, and the last intern is an exchange student from Australia. Each member has shared their own stories and has contributed greatly to our objective for this internship.

We work in this office: 

We have been researching, brainstorming project ideas, and gathering data for any potential ideas we settle on. Nonetheless, I wanted to meet my mentor’s expectations. In the previous year, one of the applications was capable of predicting prospective earthquakes using trends from historical earthquake data. Most of the application would have to be developed in JavaScript. While I have experience in the programming language, I did not think I was prepared to use it to its fullest in a real-world setting. This is especially true when the end product would actually be extensively utilized by students and professionals alike.

Fortunately, after two weeks of conference room discussions and awkward silences, we have finally secured an idea. We will be implementing an educational web application to visualize the effects of climate change on different parts of the 3D globe of Earth. We plan to utilize technologies including HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, and jQuery to develop our application, incorporating and analyzing spatial data for agriculture and atmosphere, plus wind and solar energy. Data in various formats will be organized, analyzed and visualized on the globe. Users can hover the cursor over placemarks for statistical data specific to that country’s history for atmosphere and agriculture throughout a specified time frame. Users will also easily control each dataset on the globe by adjusting the opacity, time value, and other options, while comparing selected countries. Furthermore, the user interface will be fully customizable and interactive, and the visual design of the application will be of the utmost quality.

This web application is intended for use in the classrooms by teachers, science centers and home schoolers, as well as citizens of the world. Children and adults alike will be able to learn about climate issues by manipulating the data according to their interests. Users will learn about real effects of climates change on agriculture, the economy of countless nations, and more.

Last but not least, since I live near the Stanford campus, I took a few photos to share with you!

Please stay tuned as I will update you on the status and progress of my internship and my project.