A New Opportunity! | #1

This summer, I embarked on a new experience in the world of psychology and neuroscience. I joined a new lab as a research assistant through the MCube Program. The project is a collaborative study under Doctors Patricia Deldin and Ivy Tso, and we will be investigating the brainwaves of populations of people with schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and healthy controls using an electroencephalogram (EEG) and looking at event-related potentials (ERPs). We hope to find a biomarker – something measurable that can be used to indicate a health condition – of schizophrenia. This information would be valuable for categorizing disorders in order to provide more effective treatment. As a research assistant and intern, I will be running participants and analyzing the data we collect. I think this project will be very interesting and I can’t wait to see what I can contribute.

I was very drawn to this project because I find brainwaves and ERPs to be very interesting. I think that looking at the electrical impulses created from the neurons in the brain is really cool, and I wanted to learn more about ERPs and how they can be used to study mental disorders. I had also worked with Dr Tso during my sophomore year through UROP, and I learned a lot from her and was eager to continue working on her projects. I plan on pursuing graduate school and continuing research in mental health, and I believe this internship will be a very valuable experience for me. I am excited to see where this opportunity takes me!