Blog 1: Detroit Living

¡Hola! My name is Julia Barron, and I am doing a summer research internship in Detroit, Michigan. This research opportunity is afforded to me by Detroit Community Base Research Program through UMICH UROP. While in Detroit I am interning at a non-profit organization called Osborn Neighborhood Alliance, which is in the heart of one of Detroit’s community.

Being a first-generation student, I am passionate about education because it has saved my life, allowing me to be successful in different ways my family has struggled for decades/generations.  This summer my internship is focusing on Detroit Public School’s and the challenges it faces when concerning academic success, chronic absentees, high school dropout rates, environmental blight (i.e. vacant homes, uncut grass, etc.), toxic stress, Safe Routes to Schools, and how to close academic gaps in literacy and Math.

My experience thus far in Detroit has been life impacting and beneficial.

2 thoughts on “Blog 1: Detroit Living

Hi Julia,
    Wow, your research/internship sounds really cool & what I’m interested in as well! It will probably be really eye opening and interesting getting to learn about DPS & all of the challenges. Can’t wait to hear about your experience and everything you learn!!

Thank you 🙂 for your interest and comment!