Blog #5 | Obstacles

I just faced an obstacle about 3 hours ago. I was told to go to the Pepsi suite and rearrange the sofa cushions so the downstairs sofa cushions were all clean and presentable for the people using the suite. There are sofas upstairs, but its been noticed that people rarely use the upstairs lounge. This is a technique used by MetLife in a lot of instances: worry about front of house issues and make the visitors’ experience better and worry about back of house issues later. Many of the cushions were removed when I arrived because the cleaning crew came in and moved stuff around so I couldn’t tell where the cushions were originally. So I begin trying to find replacements for the dirty cushions and after about 45 minutes came to the conclusion that this couch was shaped slightly different than the others and therefore could not switch some of the cushions because the rest would not fit. In essence, I was solving a real life puzzle in the form of a couch in a 90 degree room. I asked my supervisor to assist me and at first wondered why I was making it so difficult, but he soon realized that it wasn’t as easy as it first looked. After a while he decided to come back on another day on which the room wasn’t reaching sauna-like temperatures. So as of right now, I don’t have a solution to this problem, but we have talked about asking the cleaning crew to clean the cushions themselves instead of us forcing something to work.

One thought on “Blog #5 | Obstacles

Sometimes my work challenges are also just simple logistical issues or communication problems so I definitely feel your frustration!!