Blog Post #1 – A Whirlwind Job

Day 1: I spend two minutes standing in front of the alleged office door. I straightened my shirt, shifted my feet inside my black shoes, and braced myself for what stood behind the door. I put my hand on the door handle, and pushed. Thank god there was air conditioning. But cool air wasn’t the only thing I was met with – four pairs of blank stares were waiting for me on the other side of the wooden barrier. I was taken aback by the silent “Who are you?” glances; they looked official, and I was intimidated. “Hi, I’m here for the city council internship?” was met by hand gestures to the other room.I thanked them, smiled, and swiveled towards the other door. Good start.

Sam greeted me with a firm handshake and a friendly smile. His face didn’t quite match the one I had envisioned during the phone interview, but seemed on top of his tasks. He asked me simple questions, like how my morning commute was. There was another, unidentified person in the room, but I wasn’t sure if I should acknowledge him or not. I didn’t.

I sat down, and was asked when I wanted to come in. 25 hours a week, I could do that. Some more standard questions and a non-disclosure agreement later, I was given a task. Does this mean I was hired? He came over and told me to research policies: the MTA, petition laws, etc. were on my plate for the rest of the seven-hour work day. I had no idea how to begin, but Google seemed like a good place to start.

I walked out of the office that day with a new email, two new apps on my computer and phone, and another paragraph on my resume. Excited to have secured something to do for the summer, I put my earphones in and headed home. Subways and cabs would replace my car and right turn on reds, but I liked the prospects of complaining about the commute, like an adult.

I spent two minutes in front of my own door, content with my accomplishment of the day. Now all I had to do for the next nine hours was sleep. Happily.

One thought on “Blog Post #1 – A Whirlwind Job

I absolutely loved it! You could turn your blog posts into a novel 🙂