Catching Up

As hard as it is for me to believe, a month has indeed gone by since I’ve written one of these.

The last four weeks have indubitably been some of the quickest of my life, and at the risk of sounding hyperbolic, they have been some of the best of my young life.

I had plenty of doubts going into this internship. I feared living on my own in a big city; was unsure that I wanted to get involved with politics; and wasn’t entirely convinced that I wouldn’t melt in the 90 degree heat/90% humidity. In the past month, all of those concerns have been alleviated (except for the heat-it’s everything I can do to stave off heat stroke on my morning metro commutes).

The Congressional Internship program is, in a word, outstanding. We are encouraged to attend daily briefings on real-world issues presented by experts in their respective fields, and there are numerous lecture series with prominent political figures such as Senators Ben Cardin and Rand Paul, Judge Andrew Napolitano, and many others.

Highlights have included attending a Bipartisan Task force to End Sexual Violence hearing which featured testimony by Ms. Mariska Hargitay of Law and Order: Special Victims Unit and leading a tour group which included a Romanian holocaust survivor onto the floor of the House Chamber.

I would like to speak publicly about the specific legislative projects on which I’ve been working, but unfortunately if I told you, I would have to kill you.

More to come next week.