Final thoughts | #5

Greetings,

With only four shifts remaining in my schedule, I figure I can conclude my LSA internship blogging experience with a few final thoughts. For starters, this internship experience has in some ways encouraged me to work as an RN after I graduate instead of immediately going to grad school. This goes completely against my previous blog post, but this job has shown me that there is a lot more to this job than I truly understand. The inpatient population is becoming increasingly complicated, and I imagine it will take me more than 10 weeks to function successfully in the role of an RN. Although I’ve decided to work after graduation, I will not apply to med-surg units, as in the one that I am working in now. This is not my first med-surg unit, but I do hope that it will be my last. This is in part a personal preference, but also because it is my assessment that too often med-surg nurses lack the desire to improve their work. It’s a culture of “this is how we have always done it, and we are not changing.” Additionally, I have had more experiences than I’d like to admit in which med-surg nurses lack professionalism and integrity. They are a gossipy group, and at times quite judgmental. This contributes to the negativity that I and others experience in the work environment. To conclude, I am very thankful for this experience, and I believe it has changed the trajectory of my career. I’m looking forward to what is to come next.

Cheers,

KP

One thought on “Final thoughts | #5

So glad this experience has provided guidance for you on your next professional steps.