My Work Mentors – #1

My internship is in a psychology lab at the University of Michigan, where I work under a graduate student in the clinical science PhD program. I have been working with them for about 2 years, when I applied to work as a research assistant for course credit. They have continued to be an amazing mentor to me not only in research, but as a student applying to graduate school. They have always challenged me and pushed me to be better, and because of that, I have been able to progress in both skills and knowledge. This first began when I learned the complex process of setting up an electroencephalograph (EEG), and I am now working on a research project of my own. They are always there to answer my questions and make sure I’m on the right track. As a mentor, they have given me countless opportunities to gain essential experience and learn how to be a graduate student, so that I will be prepared later on.

Personally, I feel that my mentor has done an exceptional amount for me, and given me opportunities I would not have had anywhere else. They have helped me prepare countless applications, proofread papers, and taught me valuable research skills, even coming into the lab to help me troubleshoot problems and look over data. Now, I am able to train new research assistants and present my ideas to others, and I am overall a better student and better prepared for my future goals. We are both graduating next year, I as an undergraduate and they with their PhD, and I am very lucky to have had them supervise and mentor me throughout this process.