A Shot in the Dark, 1

By the time March 2017 rolled around, I was up to my ears with work to do. I was busy with midterms, Dance Marathon, American Medical Student Association (AMSA), and much more. I truly had to take things day by day; if I didn’t, I would go crazy! However, as my new friends began sparking conversations about summer plans, I couldn’t help but wonder how my summer would be spent. Before attending the University of Michigan, I worked at a local donut shop. Although the job was fun and easy (not to mention yummy!), I knew that I should probably start exploring opportunities in my field of interest, which is medicine. I am a pre-med student and have a particular interest in the brain. Truthfully, I wasn’t even sure where to start looking for summer internships.

I began brainstorming and decided to take a shot in the dark. My neighbor works at Abbvie Inc and has close connections with the head of the Neurodiscovery department in North Chicago, IL. I decided to reach out to my neighbor and get the contact information I needed. I composed an email simply introducing myself and demonstrating my interest in potentially working for the neuroscience team in the summer. I wasn’t expecting much to come out of this email, considering there wasn’t even an official Nuerodiscovery Intern position posted on Abbvie’s website. However, I received a response pretty promptly. Much to my surprise, not only was the neuroscience team interested in having a summer intern, but they wanted me to come in for some interviews! Long story short, everything worked out in my favor and I was offered a position as a Lab Tech Aide. I eagerly accepted. I now spend my summer days cutting/weighing mice brains and running western blots! This internship is definitely an upgrade from the donut shop. If there is one thing I learned from this scenario, it is that you should never be afraid to reach out to others. The worst that could have happened from sending the the email is that the team decided didn’t need my help for the summer. I had nothing to lose, and it is clear that one simple email helped land me an opportunity of a lifetime!