Engaging the Community | #5

Throughout these blog posts, I’ve written extensively about the impact Hope Medical Clinic has on the surrounding community. From providing the community with fruits and vegetables to eat, to ensuring that even uninsured individuals have access to quality healthcare, Hope is dedicated to bettering the community through active service.

One of the great things about Hope is that not only does it provide vital goods and services to its clients, it also teaches those clients how to be sustainable and better their own lives. For example, many individuals who use the services at Hope are also Hope volunteers. Hope has many volunteer opportunities that range from working in the medical clinic to coordinating the food pantry. These volunteer initiatives are a great way for those who use Hope’s services to give back to the community and make a difference in the lives of other’s. It’s amazing to me how many clients are so motivated to volunteer, when in their personal lives they are struggling from chronic illnesses and the burdens of low income.

Hope also has a herb garden that volunteers upkeep and harvest the herbs from. These herbs are then set out in the Hope lobby for clients to take home. This is a great way for people who may not have access to luxuries such as freshly grown herbs and spices to experiment with new recipes and tastes. It also inspires many individuals to grow their own gardens at home.

I’m realizing that many of these blogs are focusing on the mission of Hope overall as opposed to my specific duties at the organization. It’s difficult for me to talk about myself when Hope as a whole is doing such amazing things within the community. While I do assist clients in applying for health insurance and refer them to community initiatives regarding healthy foods, housing access, and financial assistance, I feel that it’s important for people reading these blogs to understand how many services Hope and the surrounding community provide to those in need. If you or a loved one is struggling financially or with health due to the high cost of healthcare, I strongly encourage them to seek out Hope or a similar organization within their community. Being an intern here has opened my eyes to the abundance of resources dedicated to helping those in need.

2 thoughts on “Engaging the Community | #5

This sounds like an amazing organization and internship! It’s important to continue to raise awareness about organizations and resources like this.

• September 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm

What a wonderful blog post! I think it is great that you found an internship that you really enjoy. Thank you for sharing this post by providing us information where others can find these resources. It’s very similar to the internship that I completed this summer because it was a big eye opener to see how people can help in different ways.