A New Start | #1

This was my first software engineering internship. I didn’t really know what to expect, and I was pretty nervous about meeting the team and fellow interns. I would be joining a team of developers and data analysts to build a globalized, cloud-based product used by large companies and small businesses alike.

Even though I was anxious about starting this new experience, I was excited to get to know everybody, pick up new technologies, collaborate with different people, and learn best practices in programming with my mentor. I was thrilled to contribute to actual production code, knowing that my work would actually be used by real customers.

Of course, I understood there would be great challenges that I would need to face during my internship. Becoming comfortable and familiar with the code base, actively building my network, and successfully completing my tasks are among some of the challenges.

Whatever came up, I knew I would enjoy tackling the problem head-on. I was going to learn about software engineering, team collaboration, and the company business as much as I could during my time here.

2 thoughts on “A New Start | #1

That sounds awesome, what kind of product are you working on? It sounds great that you have a mentor to learn best practices from, and to learn about their experiences from too!

My team is working on a product used by accountants and tax professionals. As exciting as that sounds, one of my main projects is to create the reports for it!

I actually feel that every person on the team has been a mentor to me as I’ve been working on various different parts of the code.