Blog # 2: Favorite Experience Thus Far

My favorite experience by far was definitely the Hagerty Driving Experience. Experienced employees teach others how to drive a manual transmission vehicle and it was truly amazing. I drove a Mustang, Ford Model A, Mazda Miata, VW Bug, and an International Pickup Truck. These old cars are nothing like the cars of today, with the exception of the Miata from the early ’90s. They were all manual and it was truly an engaging, fun-filled day out on the course with my coworkers. I would definitely say the Miata was the easiest, the Mustang the most difficult, and the Bug my most favorite. There is really no way to describe how to ‘perfectly’ drive stick. It’s all about the feel and knowing how to respond to the car itself.

After some time, I was becoming pretty good at it and couldn’t get enough. Getting out of neutral, into first gear is essentially the hardest part and it was all smooth sailing after that. I learned so much about the mechanics of the clutch, transmission, and engine and how it all works together too. I feel blessed and so accomplished now that I had the opportunity to drive these rare and incredibly entertaining cars!

There is really no way to describe how to ‘perfectly’ drive stick. It’s all about the feel and knowing how to respond to the car itself. After some time, I was becoming pretty good at it and couldn’t get enough. Getting out of neutral, into first gear is essentially the hardest part and it was all smooth sailing after that. I learned so much about the mechanics of the clutch, transmission, and engine and how it all works together too. The feeling of driving and being totally engaged doesn’t exist with automatic transmission cars and I see now why people prefer the stick- you actually have to be active in your driving. No looking at your phone or grabbing a sip of coffee… it requires real focus and engagement in the whole experience.

Needless to say, I feel blessed and so accomplished now that I had the opportunity to drive these rare and incredibly entertaining cars!
Below is a photo of me with the International: