Go Blue at Blue Cross #1

Working at Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan is my first experience interning, and I felt pretty nervous at the beginning. I spent three weeks before the internship worrying about and looking for transportation.  I even remember worrying about the specifics about ‘business casual’ attire, hoping that the dress shirts I had would be acceptable. I wasn’t sure if I would be ready to handle the workload or network with my coworkers.

Looking back now, I can definitely say that my worries were unfounded. I managed to get a car and someone to carpool with. The loose dress code meant that any variation of business casual attire was perfectly fine. I’ve learned a lot and been challenged a lot, but the workload has been manageable. And maybe most of all, I’ve made plenty of friends and acquaintances through the internship.

In one of the first few weeks of the internship, our department watched the Detroit Tigers at Comerica Park. I’ve never been the biggest fan of baseball, but being able to sit with my coworkers in a casual setting, really allowed me to get to know them. Only two weeks later, we had an Actuarial/Underwriting Department Picnic alongside the river. We had a volleyball net set up, and we started an impromptu volleyball game that ended up lasting for over three hours. It was a great opportunity to meet people on different floors, and it makes me incredibly glad that the Intern program at BCBSM is robust and large, allowing me to meet students from across Michigan and even across the country.

3 thoughts on “Go Blue at Blue Cross #1

Interesting, it seems like Blue Cross Blue Shield has similar corporate culture to Meijer. At Meijer we have business causal dress code. and we had social events in Grand Rapids as well. Good luck during your internship.

It seems that first experiences are always nerve racking. Being an older student, I have had my fair share. Worries usually turn out to be something easily handled but it is the experiences themselves that have taught me this! I’m glad your enjoying yourself and stretching your comfort zone. Growth can be uncomfortable but what we gain is worth it. Go Blue!

I can definitely relate because I was so nervous my first day as well! Sounds like most of our worries are unfounded and I’m happy you had some great outings and experiences bonding afterwards 🙂