Halfway There | #4

I cannot believe I am just about half way through my internship this summer. Time really does fly. I have been very busy lately at work with a project every second, something some of my fellow interns envy. But what they truly envy is the fact that I am actually enjoying what I am doing. It is so interesting the learn about something so relevant in our society (social media) and how it is used in a marketable way. This week we also had an intern volunteer day at the Greater Boston Food Bank, (logo above), and it was a great opportunity to get to know my fellow interns on a more personal level!

As I have reached the halfway point, it is important to reflect on what I have done so far in order to make the best of the time I have left at O’Neill. My first goal was to build a network of professionals in the office, just overall go beyond my mentor for projects/advice. With this I definitely see myself improving as I do projects for other people in the office. Another decision that I have made to reach this goal is to sit upstairs with one other intern in stead of downstairs with the rest of the interns. Upstairs, you are right in the middle of the office and everyone walks by. I think it is a good chance to reach out to people more and that’s why I choose to sit there most days. One thing I would like to take advantage of is reaching out to my actual mentor. He goes to a lot of events and “live tweets” them. I really would like to go to one and see how this happens, so I am going to ask him to attend an event with him later in the summer.

My other goal was to gain a greater knowledge of business within the digital/social media world. Let me tell you, I am appalled at the amount of things I have learned to do this summer. Personally I have already surpassed this goal, but I also know that although I have learned SO MANY new things, I know there is  much more to learn.  Social media for businesses is similar but different than social media. I think the main difference is strategic content and constant planning for the posts. This is definitely something that I may be interested in pursuing and I can’t wait to see what the rest of the summer has in store!

2 thoughts on “Halfway There | #4

What a great opportunity! It’s interesting how much companies rely on social media these days…

Congratulations Amanda on getting through your halfway point! Reflecting is always necessary when accomplishing new things . I’m so happy that you’re learning a lot and best of luck with the rest of your internship