Hindsight is 20/20 | #4

At the beginning of my internship I was stuck in the office a lot. I took on this position at SDEV because I was told I would be out in the garden doing work. I love to be outside in the sunshine with my hands in the dirt. I was concerned for my first couple weeks because I did not have a role at my internship, so I would spend my days in the office doing what I could whenever I was needed but most of the time I was sitting at my desk reading the news. I would come home at the end of the day and explain to my roommates how I was not happy in my position.  “Nobody likes me there!” I would say, nobody talked to me outside of good morning and good night. This stressed me out!! Then when the woman who I spent the most time with left just as I was starting to get the hang of things, I was thrown another curveball. Now, looking back I would tell myself to calm down. Notice your frustration and try to find out why it is there. Write about it and hold on because things will get better.

Now I spend just about every day in the garden with my Growing Detroit’s Young Talent interns. We work hard at Marathon and Cadillac community gardens. The work is hard, and it is hot outside but I value being outside because I remember what being stuck in the office was like. To the Allyssa of two months ago, calm down!! Everything will be okay. Make friends with Sarah and Dolores and life will get much better. I am thankful now to have allies and friends in my coworkers. To the people starting their internships and feel invaluable and like they are not doing important work, hang tight! The tide will change.