Surprising Discoveries at the Half-way Point | #1

I’ve been working at Matthaei Botanical Gardens and Nichols Arboretum for a little over 5 months now- initially as a work study student and now as a horticulture intern. With the summer being half-way over, I feel that it’s a good time to reflect on what’s surprised me the most.

Driving a tractor isn’t so hard.

As is true with everything, when learning to drive a tractor, practice makes perfect. What’s surprising even now is just how much I’ve gotten to drive one, despite the fact that the majority of my job takes place in the conservatory, greenhouses, or the herb garden. Here we’re using the bucket to flatten some old carts and send them off to scrap.

If you focus on the big tasks, the little ones will fall into place.

This was a surprisingly pleasant discovery to make. I’ve found that if you get the big tasks done and out of the way, smaller ones will be taken care of in no time… or they’ll just pile up and turn into one big job.

There is so much to know!

Daily I water and care for over 1000 individual plants, which come from over 100 unique species. It’s been one of my biggest challenges to learn all their names, and I’m still surprised to this day about how much there is to know!