Big places have Small parts | #1

I recently started work at my internship at the University of Michigan Medical School, in the Department of Radiology, in a small research lab.

Since starting, I have been introduced to all the projects I will be working on. Specifically, I will receive cGMP training in the production and quality control analysis in FDA approved radiopharmaceuticals. Which means that I will be certified to make the most commonly used pharmaceutical agent used in PET scans (positron emission tomography), fludeoxyglucose (FGD). In addition, I will be working with research faculty in developing innovative compounds for looking at the detection of Alzheimer’s disease.

To me, the ideas of working on such a known and problematic disease is a bit overwhelming. I am just only small part of the large ecosystem that is the Michigan Research and medicine as a whole. However, this makes more motivated that ever to learn as much as I can and do all that I can to help move science forward into new understanding and treatments.

I plan to explain more about these concepts and more in future posts. I can’t wait to get started and learn as much as I can about the field of radiochemistry!