Blog Post 1: Japan

My internship is working at a brewery in Naka, Japan. I was pretty excited for this job as it offered A LOT of new experiences for me. I’ve never been to Japan or made beer before. So being able to learn so much in a short amount of time was really appealing.

My goals include developing a better understanding of the fermentation process, what factors into the taste of each beer, and learning about Japanese culture. 1 week in I can say that everything is going well, although I think a lot of that is due to my intern status. I am not expected to work the demanding hours that actual team members put in, which is nice. Overall, it’s hard work, but a nice change from writing essay after essay back in Ann Arbor.

When I first arrived in Naka I met with the President of the company who asked me: did you come here for beer, or for Japan? The answer was beer, but I have been really impressed with this country as well. I think it’s the best country in East Asia by far, and I am constantly finding new things I enjoy here. I look forward to becoming self sufficient at work, and seeing the (oftentimes weird) mysteries that Japan has to offer.