First week in Braga | #1

This summer, I will be interning for at the Universidade do Minho, located in Braga, Portugal. The university is one of the largest in Portugal, though, it is still dwarfed by the University of Michigan. Specifically, I am working for the university’s language center, BabeliUM. You can think of BabeliUM as their version of the LRC, though BabeliUM is also responsible for coordinating all of the language courses at the Universidade do Minho.

My main task will be teaching an English course at the university. I have to admit that I am a little nervous, as this will be my first time teaching adults in the capacity of an instructor. The course is going to be a conversation, so I hope I am looking forward to the opportunity to speak about the US and hear from my students what they about the States.

My reason for choosing this position was matter-of-fact. Since I am studying Portuguese and Linguistics at the University of Michigan, interning at BabeliUM in Portugal seemed like a great fit for me.

Although I have only spent a short amount of time in Braga, I have loved the city and I am looking forward the to, hopefully, getting to know the rest of the country.