My summer in Development #1

This summer I’m working in the Office of University Development (OUD) at Michigan. I’m a marketing intern in the Marketing and Annual Giving Department. It’s part of the the Development Summer Internship Program (D-SIP). D-SIP is set up so I work 32 hours a week Monday-Thursday. On the Friday, the 27 members of the 2017 cohort have class: a 3 credit class about philanthropy and a professional development segment. 

When I applied, I had no idea how extensive the development operations were at Michigan. The more I learned about it, the more amazed I was about the whole operation. There’s hundreds of people who work in development at U-M. Before I interviewed for the position, I didn’t know that U-M is the midst of a $4 billion fundraising campaign. U-M’s priorities for the campaign are: student support, bold ideas, and engaged learning.  For example, the LSA internship scholarship probably wouldn’t be possible without Development. 

At the beginning of my internship, I was assigned a big project to work on and it focuses on post-campaign marketing. I’ve loved having a project this summer that I could take ownership of. I had to figure out how to best collect information about how other schools adjusting their marketing efforts post-campaign and formalize them into recommendations. My next blog post is going to focus more on my project and some of the challenges I faced.