What Does a Film Festival Intern’s Week Look Like? | #2

Disclaimer: Not every film festival intern’s week will look like this.

So, let’s do this week in order!

On Monday, my services were needed at this enormous warehouse, (that could have doubled as a Sam’s Club btw) where I spent the entire day organizing, packaging, and shipping out items from past years’ film festival. My shift was long and tiring, but boy, did it provide a fresh perspective and appreciation in really how much detail and money goes into planning big events like this. It also made me really admire warehouse workers and the physical and mental strength it takes to do all of this hard work. Shout out to you guys!

Tuesday morning, I learned that I would be reviewing short films for the festival. This meant heading over to the Bijou (a local theater) and watching these shorts on the big screen. However, it wasn’t that easy. Projection rooms are a lot tougher than they look, especially, if you have no idea what you’re doing. Luckily, one of the other interns, Maks, who also goes to Michigan (GO BLUE!),  was nice enough to take the time and teach me everything — uploading the hard drive, ingesting files, creating movie playlists, checking audio and aspect ratios, etc. Thank you, Maks!

Wednesday was a game changer. The TCFF’s very own online media manager, Andy, came into the office to briefly  meet with the videography interns. As we sat down to discuss plans for future festival content, Andy asked if someone would remind him to make a phone call at the end of the meeting. Being an astute listener, I made a mental note. But who would’ve thought that reminding someone to do something would result in a job offer? Not me. However,  I am happy to announce that you are officially looking at the personal assistant to the TCFF online media manager. Sometimes, opportunities  have a funny way of presenting themselves.

On Thursday, my assisting skills were put to the test! Seeing that the videography team was assigned to create a food video focusing on the various places to eat for the festival, we needed B-roll (extra footage)! With the permission of local restaurant owners, I took and oversaw two other interns get footage!  Overall, we went to 18 eateries that day  and even recorded a few interviews.

Friday was Fun! It involved free cupcakes and leaving work early. And that’s all you need to know 😉

2 thoughts on “What Does a Film Festival Intern’s Week Look Like? | #2

Woah! That warehouse job sure sounds like a lot of work. It’s so awesome that you get the chance to do an array of jobs because that’s so important in life! Can’t wait to hear more about it. 🙂

That’s so great that you got a job offer just by being a good listener! Congrats! I also love that you get to try a lot of different jobs. I think that’ll definitely give you a leg up in future jobs and opportunities. Keep doing what you’re doing!