A happy environment makes all the difference #1

Having had a few different internships at this point in my life, I have started to notice how seemingly similar companies on the surface, actually function quite uniquely internally. These different experiences have helped me realize the types of qualities I hope to find in my permanent work environment in the future.

At the company I worked for last summer, the interns sat in a different room, and were pretty isolated from the other employees. This year, we sit among the employees in the main office space. I believe creating this more cohesive work environment contributes to my comfort level. I find myself less intimidated by the people at the company, which allows me to ask more questions, and thus, feel more confident in the work I produce.

Additionally, this company puts a major emphasis on the wellbeing of every employee, even being voted into the top ten places to work in Boston for the last two years now. By creating in-house initiatives, such as “Wellness Wednesday,” they do not just care about each employee on an individual level, but also focus on building a strong team. “Wellness Wednesday” was created to promote a healthy environment, and through offering healthy smoothies in the office, organizing an office yoga event, and much more, this company has really materialized how much they value the wellbeing of every person.

So far this internship has really shown me how much of a difference it makes to work in a happy, cohesive, caring work environment. If you are having a bad day, going to work would not make it worse; if you need the support of your coworkers, you have a team behind you, and most importantly it produces an environment where people want to work hard because they respect their bosses and their coworkers.

2 thoughts on “A happy environment makes all the difference #1

Great reflection – It sounds like your organization has really managed to foster positive culture.

I think this is very important to keep in mind. The environment can affect your work, although it may not always be affected in a bad way, it will be affected. I’m glad this internship was able to give you a different outlook and show you that different methods have different outcomes.