Am I ready for the real world? #2

My internship this summer has been a change of pace from my internship last summer. I really wanted to use this summer, my last summer before I apply for a permanent job, to solidify what I want to do in the future. I have always loved event planning, and have focused my internships on the private event sector, (i.e. weddings, private parties, bar/bat mitzvahs, etc.). Although I loved everything about private events, I recognized I had never explored the corporate side, so there was no way of knowing if I might like that more.

While I have loved getting to know everybody at this current company, and have definitely learned a lot, I have started to realize that I don’t find corporate events has exciting and interesting as planning private events. This realization has helped me narrow down on the direction I hope to take in the future. This has allowed me to feel a lot more confident in my career path. This internship has offered me the chance to explore different options, which has given me the invaluable knowledge of knowing more about myself and has contributed to solidifying my future career choices.

Overall, I still need to gain more confidence in my ability to succeed in an actual job. Internships offer a cushion for growing and learning, and are only a short term commitment, which makes them less stressful. However, the fact that in a year I will be (hopefully) beginning a permanent job is still very intimidating. When I start applying to jobs, I need to learn to recognize my ability and channel my inner confidence so that I can get the best job I possibly can, and not let my self-doubt get in the way.

2 thoughts on “Am I ready for the real world? #2

I totally relate to your last paragraph! I get worried when I think about my future after college, and I doubt myself all the time. I guess its human nature.

But It sounds like you love the field you want to go into, and you have a lot of experience in it, so theres no need to doubt yourself. You got this!

Great to hear that you are narrowing your path! Coming from one that has seen your work, I am confident that you have a promising future!