Durable Medical Equipment Loan Program| #1

Hi there!

My name is McKenna, and this summer I drove 2,000 miles from my home in Michigan to Kalispell, Montana where I will be working on and developing a Durable Medical Equipment Loan Program for Northwest Montana Veterans Stand Down and Food Pantry. The organization I will be working for helps veterans through housing access, food security, and works to connect them to other community resources and programs. This program connects free durable medical equipment (walkers, wheelchairs, electric scooters to name a few) to individuals in the community who’s quality of life would be dramatically decreased without access to these items. All items are provided free of charge, and the program is open to the public.

I will be sorting through rooms and shipping containers full of medical equipment to begin to compile an inventory. Then, I will be building and developing a tracking and inventory system too keep all of the items accounted for. I will be developing new policies on loan length and program conditions, as well as creating new program procedures including intake, sales, loans, and new client data. I will also be traveling to the University of Montana to take a look at MonTech, which is their medical equipment loan program, and further develop our relationship with their program, as well as see what policies and procedures we can adopt and use in our own program.

I look forward to seeing what I can do with this program and for the community, while being able to explore such a beautiful area. I live in Somers, Montana which is on the north shore of Flathead Lake, the largest freshwater lake west of the Mississippi River. I work 36 miles from the stunning Glacier National Park. I look forward to seeing what all this side of the country has to offer, while being able to provide a meaningful service to a community in need.