How Work Culture affects Behavior: | Blog #2

Going into a job in the financial world, I was expecting a cut throat, competitive setting where everyone shuts up and does their work for 12+ hours a day. While the hours are long for many people in the office, the culture is somewhat more relaxed than my expectations. I started to realize that while the office setting may seem intimidating at first, once I got to know many of the people that I worked with, they wanted to make me feel welcome, and offered help when I needed it. This comfortability that I felt within the first two weeks allowed me to thrive and not feel anxious. It made me realize how important work culture is. If I went into a job that was super competitive with an extremely strict environment, I would be more hesitant to ask questions and not be able to produce my best work. I believe that a culture that has high expectations, yet allows employees to feel relaxed and at ease at work, promotes higher productivity as well as employee wellness. If culture makes employees dread going to work, the companies retention rate would not be as high and work production may even go down. Work culture also correlates with quality of life. If one does not work well within the work place, or simply dislikes their work setting, one will get burnt out of a job quickly while being unhappy throughout the process. I realized that in order to work a job every single day, one has to be satisfied with not only what they are working on, but also the system that they are in.