My Internship at FES | Blog #1

Families for Excellent Schools (FES) is a non-profit organization that seeks to ensure that all children receive an excellent education. Operating in New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, FES promotes education reform and engages parents and families to help transform school systems through the advancement of policies that create and sustain excellent schools.  FES’ core activities include educating, mobilizing, and organizing parents, taking responsible political action, and creating and cultivating coalitions. As a member-driven organization, FES commits to organizing and winning on behalf of children, in order to initiate and support positive changes in education policy.

Stemming from an interest in education reform, gratitude for my own academic opportunities and experiences, and a belief that all children deserve an excellent education, I was drawn to FES’ organizational goals and principles of fairness, equality, and compassion. There is no doubt in my mind that I would not be the person I am today without my education, and I am grateful that my internship at FES allows me to contribute to meaningful change in the public sector and to further explore my own interests in education and non-profit organizations.

As a Learning and Development Intern for FES, my daily tasks involve helping to facilitate professional development opportunities for staff members (i.e. prepping and creating instructional materials for distribution), managing the Learning and Development calendar and inbox, drafting and approving communications, aggregating data from past training evaluations, and creating a database of external venues, vendors, and facilitators. Supporting the Learning and Development team, participating in external events (i.e. The Community Education Summit), and engaging with staff members in one-on-one conversations enables me to contribute to the achievement of FES’ organizational goals and to learn about FES’ mission and company culture!