Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics I Blog #1

My summer internship will be at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. I will be in the department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics in Dr. Foltz’s lab. The lab centers around a protein known as CENP-A which is a histone variant that seems to be important in the concept of chromosome segregation. All in all, chromosome segregation plays a crucial role in most cancers, so it is an important entity to focus on.

During this internship, I will not only help the lab but also hopefully increase my skillset of biological techniques. My first project of the research internship consists of me working on a technique known as mitotic spread (aka chromosome spreads). I will be working with JG3 Hela cells as well as a drug known as Calyculin A in order to induce premature chromosome condensation within the cells in order for us to see the mis-incorporation of the histone variant CENP-A in chromosomes.

There are many things that drew me to this opportunity. To begin, last summer was the first time that I was introduced to Dr. Foltz’s lab at Northwestern University. Learning about centromere and kinetochore-related research really interested me. Therefore, I was lucky enough to receive acceptance to another lab during the 2016-2017 school year. At a lab at University of Michigan, I started doing research at Dr. Cho’s Lab to also study centromere and kinetochore-related research as well. This really invited me to continue research in this specific field and decided to come back to Dr. Foltz lab this summer. I am excited to learn new things this summer and increase my knowledge of the field.