Excel, Excel, and more Excel | #2

Hi!

During my second week here I’m working on a massive spreadsheet where I research all of the fertilizer usage on crops in Queensland, Australia. The data went back to 1947. I thought everything was going fairly well, and then I realized as I was finishing up that the units on the amount of fertilizer used changed from acres to hectares halfway through. Due to this, I had to spend a few extra hours on excel formatting the spreadsheet and implementing formulas to ensure that all measurements were uniform. A little frustrating but it definitely taught me to pay closer attention when inputting data on Excel. Thankfully I caught it before I had submitted it to my supervisor.

Every Monday, my supervisor Alex has set up coffee chats to catch up with us interns and discuss how our work has been going, as well as to ask what types of things we would like to see/do in our internship. I asked that we do an excel tutorial (boot camp style!) where we learn necessary tools for not only our position but for utilizing excel efficiently as a whole. Over the past two weeks, I’ve noticed how much emphasis is put on knowing useful programs such as excel and it can truly hinder someone trying to get into the workforce if they lack knowledge of that skill. Hopefully, I will be able to learn useful tools such as creating pivot tables and index matching data within spreadsheets. Seeing as I sit on excel for 8 hours a day 5 days a week, I’d say the odds are in my favor of learning at least one of those two skills!

On my weekends I’ve had the freedom to explore Sydney a little more. There was recently a massive light festival going on at night where they lit up various landmarks of the city, such as the opera house and the harbor bridge. I’ve included some pictures below so you can check it out!

Cheers,

Madison

One thought on “Excel, Excel, and more Excel | #2

Excel is the greatest! I remember working on a paper where I had to organize a lot of data in excel. I foolishly did it by hand, it was a tedious task but for some reason I thought it was faster than actually learning how to use excel. I faced the same problem at my internship but my boss saw what I was doing and immediately made me take a tutorial course on excel. Pivot tables are greatest!