#1: First Day Out

Starting my first day at the Rackham Graduate School was more overwhelming than exciting. It was the beginning of what I call my first “real adult” job and I didn’t know how to handle it. What should I expect? To be early is to be on time right? Should I wear my best business professional clothing or just go with the flow of the office? These were questions that ran through my mind as I headed into work. But my main worry was would I get through the day without breaking down? You see, three days before my internship started, my dad passed away. It was sudden and unexpected. I had to question if I would really be mentally and physically prepared to go into the workforce knowing my current circumstances. Life is tough, but it still keeps going. However, the wonderful team over at the Development Summer Internship Program (D-SIP) made sure to work with me through every step of my grieving process.

I never officially brought up my dad’s death to my other co-workers through D-SIP because this was something personal that I did not want to accept. Many times I would try to hide my emotions and distance myself from others. This brought some issues within the workplace. I just couldn’t accept what was going on in my life. I thought that coming to work would be a good way of taking my mind off of everything. Unfortunately that wasn’t the case. But that support from D-SIP and my supervisors at Rackham never left. My dad was more excited about me receiving this internship than I was. He loved how hard I worked for everything I ever wanted in life. It was only right that I continued to work hard and fulfill my purpose of being here. I am excited to be doing development and philanthropy, while focusing on fundraising initiatives for the Wallenberg Legacy Program. It is only the beginning but I am sure that I will learn a lot through these upcoming weeks.